Your mold inspector will be looking for evidence of mold or “microbial” growth. They will use a swab or tape lift to sample that growth. Both swabs and tape lifts are used to see if there is evidence of “current or former growth” as a result of water intrusion or excessive humidity causing the growth. Sometimes the dark or discolored “growth” is not microbial growth and thus, no evidence of water intrusion causing damage to your home. It is important to sample visible growth along with air samples to measure whether or not unwarranted exposure exists for you and your family.
Your mold testing professional will determine the number of air samples that will be taken inside the home, along with an outdoor sample to compare the inside samples as a baseline or control sample. Air samples can tell you if you have hidden moisture or leaks that are producing spores that may represent a health risk to you and your family.
Mold samples and moisture testings are done to evaluate potential health hazards from the mold and help locate sources of moisture that will eventually destroy whatever becomes wet and moldy. Property values can be greatly affected by moisture and mold. Moisture and mold testing help prevent damage to property and help keep your family healthy by identifying the source of the problem so it can be fixed.
When to have a Surface Sample taken:
- When visible mold (or suspected mold) is present.
- Where a cleanup or removal of visible mold took place.
- When a third party will be involved in affecting repairs to ensure those repairs are done properly.
When you should consider an Indoor Air Quality Test:
- When a recent or past water event is suspected.
- A “musty” smell is noticed.
- An occupant of the home is predisposed to the respiratory disease.
- Recent mold remediation took place and you want to verify the effectiveness.
When you should consider an IAQ test with a Mold & Moisture Evaluation:
- When you have general concerns about the house.
- When the home sat vacant for an extended period of time.
- A major water event historically is suspected.
- This service becomes especially important when there is a suspected mold issue and no home inspection was performed.
When you or someone you know needs the services of a quality home inspection company, we would truly appreciate you thinking of us. You can schedule right from our website or call our office now (951) 704-7360.
Committed To The Success Of Your Home Purchase | Quest Property Inspections
We share most of our blogs on our Facebook page too. Like and follow us to get more updates from us.